Saturday 16 March 2013

To Scarf or not to Scarf

THAT IS THE QUESTION

This is a typical scarf joint !
Its a Pain ! , takes lots of time to make and to be done correctly , needs a reasonable level of accuracy . I need to do lots of them as the length of a piece of wood doesn't always ( most times in fact) match the length required for the job . This is the two piece lamination of one of Jigsaw's Gunwales ( side top edge of Hull ) . Currently I make them by rough planing the angular cut using a power planer , then fit into a jig I created and using a router to finish the cut to a more accurate version . Originally I used a bench saw to make the initial cut and then finished with the router , but typically my bench saw has quit ,the blade started to wobble more that it should and under investigation found that a small bronze bush had become worn and havn't been able to find a replacement . My tools are failing already !!!  .

No comments:

Post a Comment